Footpaths, maintenance and use
Council is responsible for the on-going maintenance and construction of footpaths and bicycle paths throughout the Borough of Queenscliffe.
Any concerns relating to footpaths should be lodged with Customer Service on 03 5258 1377 or via the Report an issue form.
Commercial use of footpaths
Commercial use of footpaths' by businesses in the Borough refers to where businesses wish to use footpaths for purposes including:
- Displaying goods
- Bulky goods
- A-frame signs
- Tables and chairs (with and without alcohol service)
- Planter boxes.
It's important to keep in mind that footpaths are a community space. While we do want to support business operations, we also need to protect the safety of pedestrians, visual amenity and traffic flow. To ensure that you can take advantage of the space in an optimal way, read the Commercial use of footpaths guidelines and apply for a permit to gain permission. The permit application form is available in the Local laws and permits section of this website.
An application for a permit must contain the following information:
- Location and size of area to be occupied
- Building line
- Existing street furniture, fixtures and fittings
- Width of footpath
- Information to be contained on sign, such as text and colour
- Style of furniture
- A demonstration that the proposal complies with Heritage or Urban Character
- A demonstration that the propasal complies with the values of the area.
Should you require assistance with your application please contact Customer Service on 03 5258 1377..