Home Care Packages Program (HCPP)

Please note: Council is not currently accepting new Home Care Package clients.

The Home Care Packages Program (HCPP) is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health.

Please note: Although funding for the Commonwealth Home Support program has been provided by the Australian Government, the material contained herein does not necessarily represent the views or policies of the Australian Government.

The Borough of Queenscliffe, the City of Greater Geelong, Colac Otway Shire Council and Surf Coast Shire Council have joined as an alliance to provide Home Care Packages to our respective communities. This alliance of councils has enabled us to provide a high quality standard of community aged care since 1996.

The City of Greater Geelong, as a registered provider, is the lead agency in the alliance, and alliance members meet regularly to ensure compliance with all Government regulations and quality requirements.

A Home Care Package is an Australian Government funded care option provided by the Alliance members on a consumer directed care basis to assist older people to remain living independently at home for as long as possible.

A Home Care Package gives you more choice, flexibility and control in the way your care and support is provided, along with access to a full range of services to suit your needs. We will work closely with you to ensure services are tailored to suit you and support your quality of life.

Our Home Care Package Program draws on our extensive experience in providing aged care services in the Borough of Queenscliffe and offers access to our highly trained and experienced pool of Community Care Workers.

Watch the Council on the Ageing's (COTA) video to learn more about how your Home Care Package can work for you.


We do not charge a basic daily care fee for services provided. However, you may need to pay an income-tested fee as established by the Centrelink income assessment. Click here to view a schedule of fees.

For more detailed information regarding our Home Care Packages Program costs, click here to to visit the Help at Home Costs page of the My Aged Care website or speak with one of our Aged Care Services Officers on 03 5258 4132.


Eligibility is determined by My Aged Care. Call 1800 200 422 to speak with a My Aged Care representative or click here to visit the Accessing a Home Care Package page of the My Aged Care website for further information.

When a Home Care Package becomes available, you will receive a letter from My Aged Care to let you know you have been assigned a package. The letter will set out the level of Home Care Package that has been assigned to you and include a unique referral code.

Need to contact us?

To speak with an Aged Care Services Officer, contact our Aged Care Service office on 03 5258 4132.

Common questions:

If you are frail, elderly, have a disability or an acquired brain injury, you may be eligible for services provided under the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP).

Please telephone the My Aged Care Contact Centre on 1800 200 422 to find out if you are eligible or click here to visit the My Aged Care website.


On My Terms – Home Care Packages Program Barwon Local Government Alliance (PDF - 4.4 MB)

Related information:

Client rights and responsibilities

As a service provider for the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) and the Home Care Packages Program (HCPP), we follow the guidelines set out by the Commonwealth Government's Department of Health.

Click here to access the Rights and Responsibilities page of the My Aged Care website for further information.

Elder abuse

Elder abuse is a growing concern within our ageing communities.

Elder abuse:

  • Is defined as any act which causes harm to an older person and is carried out by someone they know and trust such as a family member or friend.
  • May be physical, social, financial, psychological or sexual and can include mistreatment and neglect.

Seniors Rights Victoria provides:

  • Information, support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people.
  • Services that include a helpline, specialist legal services, short-term support and advocacy for individuals and community and professional education.
  • Leadership on policy and law reform and works with organisations and groups to raise awareness of elder abuse.

If you, your client or someone you know is experiencing elder abuse, please contact the free, confidential helpline on 1300 368 821.

World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is held on 15 June each year.

Your right to advocacy

All Aged Care Services clients have the right to use an advocate.

What is an advocate?

An advocate may provide information and advice in order to help you to take action to resolve any concerns, or may take a more active role in representing your rights to another person or organisation.

Who can be an advocate?

An advocate can be a family member, your main carer, legal representative, trusted friend or someone from an agency that provides advocacy services.

An officer of the Aged Care Service may be able to provide you with advocacy assistance or refer you to an agency that specialises in this service.

Why use an advocate?

It is important to be able to exercise your rights. An advocate can help make sure that you are not disadvantaged due to any disability, your age, gender, sexual preference or your cultural background.

When to use an advocate

There may be times when you feel it is hard to speak up for yourself. An advocate can help you to:

  • Access services.
  • Change services.
  • Make sure your services are right for you.
  • Communicate with service provider staff.
  • Negotiate a suitable resolution if there is a complaint or a dispute.

Advocacy agencies

Assert 4 All 

Phone 03 5221 8011

ADEC (Action on Disability in Ethnic Communities) Phone 03 9480 1666 or 1800 626 078 

Email info@adec.org.au

Elder Rights Advocacy (Victoria)

Phone 03 9602 3066 or 1800 700 600 (free call in Victoria except from mobile phones)

Email era@era.asn.au

Regional Information and Advocacy Council (RIAC)

Phone 03 5222 5499

Email geelong@riac.org.au

Villamanta Disability Rights Legal Service (information service relating to disability legal issues) Phone 1800 014 111
VALiD (Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability)

Phone 03 9416 4003 or 1800 655 570 (rural Victoria only)

Email office@valid.org.au

Office of the Public Advocate

Phone 03 9603 9500 or 1300 309 337

TTY 1300 305 612

 Useful websites: